Heating systems, fireplaces, wood stoves, roofs, gutters and downspouts are all things that need to be considered as a part of regular winter maintenance regime. Taking the time to be sure that these are all in working order before the onset of the winter months will eliminate any potential freeze ups and/or damage done to your home.
- Have a regular inspection and cleaning of your heating system. This would ensure its safe operation throughout the winter.
Wood Stoves & Fireplaces:
- Once every few years have your chimney inspected and cleaned, especially if it is used frequently.
- Utilize caution when loading and operating a fireplace or wood stove. Dispose of the ashes in a metal container and store it away from the house.
Smoke Detectors & Carbon Monoxide Detectors:
- If you are using a wood stove or fireplace, change alarm batteries the same date every year and test them.
- If you do not have smoke alarms or carbon monoxide detectors installed in your home, do so, for they save lives every winter.
- Before the snow falls, have your roof inspected for any potential leaks every few years.
- Install ice and water shields under the shingles to help avoid damages that are done from ice dams and snow storms.
- Install extra installation and ventilation in the attic to reduce the formation of ice dams.
Gutters & Downspouts:
- Clean gutters and downspouts of any debris, therefore assuring proper drainage will occur.
- Be sure the water drainage is away from any pathways or driveways.
- Check your policy for details of coverage for potential winter hazards such as frozen pipes, etc. For as much as we try to avoid the worse from happening, it sometimes still does. So, discuss the details of your homeowners’ insurance policy with your insurance representative today to be sure you have the proper coverage.
Winter months can bring in with it the bitter cold and piles of snow. Use extra caution when driving and walking on slippery walkways and through parking lots. We hope your winter is a safe one.
Here at Donald J. Medeiros Insurance Agency our goal is to try to help our viewers by suggesting solutions for all insurance needs. By no means can we address each reader’s specific concerns in every incident. So, we strongly advise to check with an insurance representative to address your specific needs. However, you can also contact us for any questions or concerns and we will be happy to help you. We are able to offer a complete line of personal & commercial insurance products for all of Massachusetts, Rhode Island and New Hampshire.
Come visit us at www.donmedeirosinsurance.com or give us a call at 508-678-1271. We look forward to hearing from you! If you have a Facebook account, fan us at www.facebook.com/donmedeiros.
Filed Under: Safety Tips | Tagged With: Donald J. Medeiros Insurance Agency, fireplaces, heating systems, homeowners insurance, homeowners policy, Independent Insurance Agent, roof, smoke detectors, winter maintenance, wood stoves