The fall season is without a doubt the best time of the year for a road trip for a couple or with the family. There are harvest festivals to attend, local fairs to visit and fantastic foliage to look for, all in the next two months before we tuck in for the long cold winter.
When you are about to embark on your excursion, whether it is spontaneous or not, it is always good to have some necessities already packed in your car along with your emergency car kit, just in case. Please tell me you have an emergency kit, right?
We will call this a “Basic Necessities Kit”. Don’t be discourage for it may seem like an extensive list but a little preparation goes a long way to make any trip more enjoyable, even when the unpredictable happens.
Consider purchasing a plastic under-the-bed storage bin for it’s flat and on rollers so it can be pulled out for easy accessibility. Then add the following items to your storage bin:
- Toilet paper: Buy the type for boats or RVs for they are smaller rolls and biodegradable.
- Hand Sanitizer: Store in a zip lock bag.
- Toothbrushes, toothpaste & dental floss: Just in case you have to stay over somewhere.
- Plastic tablecloth: For those places that aren’t quite sanitary for a diaper change or a meal.
- Trash bag: It can be used for an emergency potty or a gathering of trash in the car.
- Baby wipes: Cleans everyone up, not just a baby.
- Disinfecting wipes
- Feminine protection
- Box of tissues
- Rain ponchos (foldable kind)
- Extra zip lock bags (for the rain ponchos after opened)
- Fleece blankets: For those unexpected chilly days
- Duct tape: This can be used to fix just about everything.
- Paracord: Multi-use rope, because you never know.
- Multi-use knife: Swiss Army style is the best.
- Maps: Just in case the GPS goes on the blink.
- Collapsible nylon bag: In case you have to leave the car, you can take most items with you.
- Insect repellent & sunscreen
- Lip balm
- Travel games
- A CD and/or a DVD player
- Movies or books
Keep this “Basic Necessities Kit” in your car at all times for when you do have those spontaneous moments, it is there for you.
Now, you are almost ready to begin your adventure. But, let me say this, before you go. Do make sure to do the basic vehicle checks for the long drive ahead. Enjoy your trip!
Here at Donald J. Medeiros Insurance Agency our goal is to try to help our viewers by suggesting solutions for different topics, as well as insurance needs. By no means can we address each reader’s specific concern. So, we strongly advise to check with an expert in the topic area to address your specific needs. However, you can also contact us for any insurance questions or concerns and we will be happy to help you. We are able to offer a complete line of personal & commercial insurance products for all of Massachusetts, Rhode Island and New Hampshire.
Filed Under: How to Protect Your Family, How to Protect Yourself, Just Some Good Info | Tagged With: emergency car kit, excursions, fall foliage, harvest festivals, local fairs, survivor man, what to do in the fall